Duties and Responsibility
- Provision of Export and Import Permits on Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge (for Commercial and Non-commercial purposes).
- Regulation of illegal transfer of Genetic resources and Community (Traditional) knowledge.
- Publicizing/promoting genetic resources (species/subspecies/varieties) for Access and Benefit sharing activities.
- Surveying and documenting Community knowledge, innovation and practices, and publicizing for use/utilization.
- Producing and distributing Publications (leaflets, brochures, newsletters, magazines, articles on newspaper, etc.) to stakeholders.
- Organizing forums (workshops) for raising awareness of communities and stakeholders on Access and Benefit Sharing.
- Monitoring and regulating (Control and follow-up of negative impacts) genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and invasive aliens species (IAS).
- Implementing policy, strategy and action plans on Invasive Aliens Species.
- Conducting access and benefit sharing related researches such as bioprospecting, valuation, invasive alien species assessment studies, and Ethno-botanical studies.
- Amending the existing Access and benefit-sharing laws and regulations when necessary.
Services, currently provided by the directorate
- Access permit given for Non-commercial (Research and Academic) purposes.
- Access and Benefit Sharing permit given for Commercial purposes.
Research Work (Present and Past)
- Opportunities for Bioprospecting Genetic Resources in Ethiopia (Published).
- Economic Valuation of Moringa stenoptala in Wolayita, Konso, Arba Minch and Jinka (Past).
- Economic Valuation of Thymus (Thymus schimperi and Thymus serrulatus) in North Shewa Zone, Ethiopia (Past).
- Ethno-botanical study of Enset (Ensete ventricosum) in Angacha Woreda (Past).
- Bioprospecting potential of Ocimum americanum and Ocimum basilicum for access and benefit sharing around selected areas of North Gondar and West Gojjam, Ethiopia (Ongoing).
- Economic Valuation of Rhizobium (Rhizobial bio-fertilizers) in Northern Shewa, Wolayita and Arsi Zones: Baseline study for access and benefit sharing (Ongoing).
- Traditional knowledge study related to herbal medicinal plants around selected zones of Southern Nations Nationalities, and Peoples Regional States (Ongoing).
- Assessment of Mimosa diplotricha (Mimosa invisa) around selected woredas of Jimma Zone (Ongoing).