Further to the independent review, the strategic plan proposed 3 goals to guide the further development of the CHM, which were:
- cooperation – the promotion and facilitation of scientific and technical cooperation
- information exchange – the development of a global mechanism for exchanging and integrating information on biodiversity
- network development – the development of the CHM Focal Points and their Partners.
COP 7 requested the Executive Secretary to update the strategic plan of the Clearing-House Mechanism to 2009, in collaboration with the Informal Advisory Committee, for consideration by the eighth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (decision VII/23, paragraph 7(a))
COP 8 adopted the updated strategic plan up to 2010 together with its programme of work (decision VIII/11, annexes I and II). This strategic plan emphasizes how the CHM could contibute to the achievement of the 2010 target. In addition decision VIII/11 also encourages the free and open access to biodiversity information.
At COP 10, the CHM strategy was aligned to the overal Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 (decision X/15). The mission became to contribute significantly to the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity and its Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, through effective information services and other appropriate means in order to promote and facilitate scientific and technical cooperation, knowledge sharing and information exchange, and to establish a fully operational network of Parties and partners.
COP 10 also decided to organize the CHM goals in a way that facilitates follow up by level of implementation:
- The central clearing-house mechanism provides effective global information services to facilitate the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020.
- National clearing-house mechanisms provide effective information services to facilitate the implementation of the national biodiversity strategies and action plans.
- Partners significantly expand the clearing-house mechanism network and services.